Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ben's Record: 2 -and- 1

That's not his soccer record, it's his fire record at our house. He's been a hero twice and caused a fire once. Because he's still ahead in the count we're going to keep him around, but he better watch it...



Yesterday Lori and Avery came home from the bus stop with me to visit with Rachel for a bit and it was a good thing. Lori's super-sonic sniffer smelled smoke before it could become really serious. After I retrieved my trusty fire extinguisher, which saved us in the case of the two previous fires, we went on a hunt to find the cause. We looked in every room of the house with no luck and yet the smell got worse and the smoke seemed to become a serious haze. Lori convinced me that it was not an overreaction to call the fire department. I have what I refer to as an irrational fear of fires, so I was glad for some moral support. I was envisioning an electrical fire in the walls...



The fire truck arrived with all its gear, including axes. The firemen had trouble locating the source at first but they were sure from the smell that it was not an electrical fire. After about 10 minutes they called me into the house to show me the source. A pair of socks was in this light fixture and smoldering away. They found them because the smoke had really picked up and they were about to really ignite.



Ben's socks. Thrown up there on the way downstairs Tuesday morning and left there. He apparently told Evan they were up there when he got on the bus, but no mention to Mom. He just found another pair in his room, so no problem, right? Wrong. So wrong.



Again, I feel so lucky that our day went the way it did so we averted disaster. If anything had happened differently it could have been really serious but we are blessed. So, so blessed.



Maybe my fear of fire is not so irrational after all...

7 comments:

Rob said...

Wow, the Ben saveth, and the Ben nearly taketh away... Funny thing is, Kurt and I kind of did the same thing, wrapping a bandana around the light just outside of the room in the basement. It actually flamed up, but we were right there to deal with it. Close call! Keep an eye on that Ben, he sounds like trouble.

Kim said...

You're not kidding. He IS trouble, but he's also there to make a save too, you know? There's only ONE Ben!

Anonymous said...

you know i always tell people i have a RATIONAL fear of things. i too have one for fire. an irrational fear is fear of socks, fear of bananas. I fear car accidents, fire, animals bites, poison. i think those are okay to fear. (i probably would have done the same thing as Ben, i would have told someone cause i thought it was funny. Not that i thought someone should KNOW.

kurt

Kim said...

Kurt, Ben reminds me a lot of you. He's funny and charming and oh so busy. I guess knowing you turned out so well gives me hope he'll be OK.

Annee said...

Wow, because it has a happy ending, I'll admit that is a great story. What if your house had burned down? That wouldn't have been a great story. I'm so glad you called the firemen. I just can't believe what a close call that was!

Becky said...

Wow! How do you not have a melt down over that? (no pun intended) As a mom I would be so mad, yet so relieved. Too many emotions to deal with. Thank goodness for your family it was not something more serious.

Coon Family said...

Crazyness! Who would have ever thought a sock could be so dangerous when put in the "wrong" place. I am glad everything worked out. Way to go fireman, that would have been a hard thing to find!